Monday, November 3, 2014

"Too Pretty"...a novel by Andrea Grigg.

I have a confession to make.  I am generally quite wary of Christian novels. You may think this is a strange attitude for someone who has been a Christian for 15 years and counting, and especially for someone who devours every book within reach apparently indiscriminately...

I have my reasons.  I am somewhat of a book snob.  No.  I take that back.  I am a huge book snob. Ask me one day to explain just how much of a book snob I can be.  Suffice it to say, I almost never read Christian novels.  I made an exception in the case of the Left Behind series, but I class that as fantasy which is my go-to genre.

Basically I can't stand cheese.  I cringe when I read of Christian books that are heavy on proof-texting moralism, and unbelievably perfect characters and unbelievably perfect love stories (because of course all Christian novels are romances right?)...

Now having said all that, "Too Pretty" by Andrea Grigg (who I met due to a minor mutual Outlander obsession... you know...the one with Jamie and Claire? but I digress) is NOT like any of those books that I have so far managed to avoid reading in their entirety.

"Too Pretty" is a modern Australian novel which just happens to be Christian.  So none of the stereotypes of American Christianity that we know so well.  It is a novel in which Ellie (the impossibly beautiful, but totally real protagonist) speaks everyday English to normal people. In which truly human struggles are dealt with fairly and realistically.  In which (in short) a modern red-blooded woman makes counter-cultural decisions about relationships in a way that (to a Christian reader) is laudable.

If you want to escape from the modern world, "Too Pretty" may not be your bag... if you want impossibly perfect male romantic main characters then look elsewhere.  One of Griggs' main strengths as a writer is her ability to draw characters that are flawed enough to be real, but not too flawed as to be ladling it on with a trowel... her ability to infuse the story with *just enough* Christianity... enough to leave the reader in no doubt that her characters are Christian, but not so much that the reader is belted about the head with the fact.

This is a book that I will be recommending to Christians who may be young in their faith (both male and female), and also to non-Christians (of any age) who may be interested in Christian literature; as it will challenge both groups to think through their beliefs and their experiences of the Christian faith and Christians they may know or be influenced by.  And yes. I am classing "Too Pretty" as literature. Most definitely worth a read and a discuss with a friend!

11 comments:

  1. Just got pointed this direction. My signed copy of "Too Pretty" is sitting right next to me, and I can't wait to read it. There's a real swing among readers and small Christian publishers today (me included) to get away from the preaching and heavy handed approach. We don't like reading it, so we're pretty sure others won't either. Andrea is a delight, and her books represent her beautiful and very real personality. (And kind of understand that Outlander obsession.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Julia. I was thrilled to read your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia you hit the nail on the head. I loved every word of Too Pretty. Andrea has captured a real feel for her characters and situations. I would definitely recommend this to my friends. Can't wait to read another Andrea Grigg novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for Julia. I went to the book launch for Too Pretty, but haven't gotten to it yet. It's been getting really good reviews and it's interesting to hear how different people respond to it. I'll look forward to getting into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion, Nola. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. Great blog Julia. I have to agree with you. I loved 'Too Pretty' myself even though I am essentially a strange mix usually of reading Christian non fiction and secular fiction. I couldn't put the book down (please note Andrea). I too will not just recommend it - I will share my copy with my friends.

    PS I noticed one of your titles - 'The life of a failed writer'. Failed? No! You are obviously a writer - so go for it! Never say 'failed'. :) Never say 'never'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement Anusha, and I have to agree with you. Julia is definitely NOT a failed writer. I love her style!

      Delete
    2. Ok so "failed writer" may not be quite correct... try lackadaisical. .. not disciplined enough to go places! But I will be blogging more regularly again now...

      Delete