Thursday, September 16, 2010

Semi-reluctant...

I thought it would be a good idea to address the question of my occupation early-on in this blog. 


I always wanted to be a teacher.  I have been a teacher since before I can remember.  


It was only the subject that was the question; I never considered anything other than secondary school teaching and as I grew older and began to understand myself and my interests, my passions for literature and for history (and everything involved in both) it became clear to me what I needed to study at uni.  


I never had the years of soul searching that so many kids have when the UAC books come out each year.  I knew what degree and what uni I would apply for.  I only put in one choice because I was that certain of my desires.  


I got in to my choice of uni and degree, I worked hard, I got honours in both English and History because I could never choose one over the other.  I did a Dip Ed at a less-preferred uni, did my prac at a great school (James Ruse...let the reader understand) and graduated as the one thing I ever wanted to be: a Teacher (note the capital).


For various reasons I chose not to apply to state schools (a post for another time), and I spent almost a year and a half looking for a full-time job.  


But teaching was not what I always thought it would be.   I struggled with class control, kids didn't listen or care...but I thought my enthusiasm would cut through all that.  Not so.  I left a few schools because I couldn't cope.  And what of my lifetime of dreaming of finding one school I could work at 'til I retired? getting further and further into the distance...


Then last year, I taught at a school which was ideologically and theologically opposite to almost everything I believe in.  And do you know what?  I loved it! The kids were great!! they wanted to learn, and on the whole they listened.  It was a joy to teach there.  It was somewhere I could have stayed for a while...not quite a lifetime of teaching, but a while.  


In March and April I was toying with the idea of taking this year off to study at Moore College  with Luke.  I was within a few weeks of applying.  Then God showed that He had other ideas for me this year, and for the years to come.  


The lofty years of dreaming of a career in teaching, retiring  after a long and fulfilling career...diminishing...fading...into the reality of becoming a mum.  


"SO what do you do?"..."I'm just a mum"... 


... to be continued.





No comments:

Post a Comment